5 Mistakes to Avoid When Transporting a Car
5 Mistakes to Avoid When Using Auto Transport Brokers
Auto Transport Brokers can save you time, effort, and resources when you need your vehicle transported from one place to another. However, avoiding common mistakes when using their services would be best. Considering these five significant errors, you can ensure a smooth and worry-free experience with auto transport brokers.
Failing to research the company.
The first step in avoiding mistakes when using auto transport brokers is researching the company you plan to work with. Here are some key considerations:
- Look for customer reviews on third-party websites or social media platforms.
- Confirming that the company is registered with the FMCSA, has an MC or DOT number, and has received approval from the Department of Transportation to operate is crucial.
- Google Search: “MC Lookup”, “DOT Lookup”, ” FMCSA Lookup”, “Department of Transport lookup”
- Quick Link to Company Search
- Contact friends, family, or colleagues with experience with auto transport brokers.
What are the consequences of not researching the auto transport broker?
- Risk of Scams: Not researching the auto transport broker can increase the risk of falling victim to scams and frauds by unscrupulous brokers.
- Hidden Costs: Choosing a broker without proper research can result in unexpected and hidden costs that can significantly increase the overall cost of transportation.
- Unreliable Services: Brokers that are not adequately trained may not have the necessary resources and expertise to provide reliable transportation services.
- Delays and Mismanagement: Hiring an incompetent broker can result in delays and mismanagement of the transportation process, causing inconvenience and financial loss.
- Negative Impact on Reputation: Choosing an unreliable or scamming broker can harm the reputation of the business or individual who hired them, causing long-term damage.
- Steer clear of brokers that don’t provide clear and transparent pricing details.
Not Preparing Your Vehicle
Preparing your vehicle before it’s shipped can help alleviate potential issues during transportation. Here’s what to consider:
Clean Your Vehicle
- Thoroughly clean the exterior and interior to identify any pre-existing damages. You will note all pre-existing damages on the BOL on vehicle pickup.
Inspect Your Vehicle
- Document any pre-existing damages or mechanical issues.
- Have a detailed record with photographs for reference during pickup and delivery.
- An optional suggestion is to maintain the weight of gas cars at around 25% of tank capacity.
Packing Too Much Stuff
Overloading your vehicle with items can lead to extra costs and potential damage during transport. Keep these tips in mind when packing:
Keep it Light
- Limit the number of items in your vehicle, staying within the carrier’s weight restrictions.
- Carriers typically allow up to 100lbs
- Communicate with your transport agent for additional weight.
Secure Your Belongings
- Assess the items you plan on packing for their potential to shift during transport and secure them to avoid damage.
Not Being Available for Delivery
It’s essential to have an appointed person available during the delivery process. Plan to ensure a seamless pickup and delivery experience.
- Be ready to receive your vehicle with the carrier at the agreed time and location.
- Communicate with the carrier throughout the shipping process and inform them of any schedule changes in advance
Not Getting Additional Insurance Coverage
Despite the best precautions, accidents can still happen. Don’t overlook the importance of insurance coverage:
Verify Carrier Insurance
- Confirm that your broker’s carrier partners have adequate insurance to cover potential damages during transit.
- The carrier is liable for any damages during the transport.
Consider a Carrier with Bigger Insurance Coverage
Trailer Carriers typically have higher insurance coverage. If you are shipping a high-value vehicle, it is essential to consider a carrier with higher insurance coverage. This will protect you in case something happens to your vehicle in transit. The amount of insurance coverage you need will vary depending on the value of your vehicle.
These are the types of vehicles that usually require more insurance coverage.
- High-value vehicles. Enclosed trailers provide the best protection for high-value vehicles, such as classic, luxury, and sports cars. They are also a good choice for vehicles that are not in good condition and must be protected from the elements.
- Classic vehicles. Enclosed trailers are a good choice for classic vehicles because they protect from the elements and other hazards. They also help to keep the vehicle clean and free of dust and dirt.
- Historic vehicles. Enclosed trailers are a good choice for historic vehicles because they protect from the elements and other hazards. They also help to keep the vehicle in its original condition.
- Show vehicles. Enclosed trailers are a good choice for show vehicles because they protect from the elements and other hazards. They also help to keep the vehicle clean and free of dust and dirt.
- Vehicles that are being transported long distances. Enclosed trailers are a good choice for vehicles transported long distances. They protect from the elements and other hazards and help reduce wear and tear on the vehicle.
By avoiding these mistakes when using auto transport brokers, you can ensure a smooth and stress-free experience getting your vehicle safely from point A to point B. Research your chosen company, prepare your vehicle and belongings, be available for delivery, and secure additional insurance coverage to guarantee successful vehicle transport.
you might also like
Auto Transport Brokers
The Role of Auto Transport Brokers in the Shipping Industry The world of vehicle shipping can be a complex process. Auto transport brokers have become the trusted middlemen for individuals or businesses needing to [...]
Auto Transport Carriers
Auto Transport Carriers Are you on the verge of moving from your current residency or leaving for an extended period but are very concerned about your vehicle transportation? We completely understand your uneasiness. Vehicle [...]
Seattle Auto Transport
Seattle Auto Transport Services Seattle is consistently voted one of the best places to live in the United States. The city is beautiful, with mountains and water surrounding it, and there's always something to [...]
Ultra exotic Car Transport Services
Luxury Car Transport: The Ultimate Guide Purchasing a luxury car is a significant investment, so you should take extra measures to ensure safe and secure transportation. In this comprehensive guide, you will learn about [...]
Why Transporting Your Car by Train May Not Be the Best Idea
Here’s why transporting your car by rail may not be the brightest idea 5 reasons why you may want to consider hiring an auto shipping carrier It is no wonder why people tend to [...]
What To Do If Your Car is Held by Customs
Your Guide to Vehicle Shipping Don't worry if you need to ship your vehicle; it can be straightforward. To help you, we've compiled a comprehensive guide explaining everything you need to know about auto [...]